Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Baby Girl, I don't got a motor boat, but you float my boat...

All you need is love.  But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.  -- Charles M. Schulz

So husband and older daughter are going away over Valentine's Day for a sports tournament...so I was looking for something fun to do with younger daughter.  I think she's feeling a little left out and I told her I'd take her on a Valentine's date, but I wanted to do a little something more...so I found this great race, Run for the Chocolate, nearby.  It's a 5K and you get a t-shirt, medal, and chocolates at the finish.  (Oh, and wine, but that was for me, not her).  Wouldn't that be a great thing for us to do together?

Yeah - it would, but the race is $45 a person right now - seriously.  (It was cheaper...$35 when registration opened, but even that's pretty hefty for a 5K.)  Triathlons are expensive - I get it.  And even road races are expensive - OK.  But if we want to get our kids into these sports, we can't make them cost prohibitive.  I think race organizers are doing a real disservice to young people.  And probably not even young people, but other people who are just starting out and thinking "hey, I've never done a race before - that sounds cool."  Cool.  But not $45 cool.  They claim the race is going to sell out - but they have a couple hundred slots in both the 5K and the 10K.  Maybe they'll get the hint - or maybe not.  I have no skin in the game myself, I'm just ranting because I wanted to do something cool with my baby girl...but I'm not paying $90 for a half-hour of fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment