Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Cramp-tastic

I have a hard time finding high boots that go up to your knee, because of the shape of my calves. -- Camila Alves

Today was supposed to be my long run - hoping to go 18-20 miles since I'm just shy of a month away from the marathon.  Unfortunately I was hobbled by a terrible calf cramp around mile 13.  And so, I give you...The Cramps - Goo Goo Muck:


The thing that totally cracks me up about this song is how fitting the title is for my run.  :)  I've finally gotten my food dialed in a little better for long runs (instead of getting starving part way through).  Today I had 2 packs of gu and one pack of fruit mush (or muck - take your pick).

Anyway, back to the cramps - not the punk band...the ones in my calves.  I'm starting to get a little stressed about these, since I want to do well during my marathon and obviously hobbling in is not how I want to perform.  I've been reading up - seems like maybe an electrolyte/dehydration issue.  I ate a banana for breakfast, had gatorade in my camelbak, and ate the two gus that have electrolytes...all I'm thinking is that maybe I need to drink more and/or take S-caps (salt tabs) even in the winter.  Unfortunately, the drinking more kind of limits my routes, since there aren't potty stops every two miles on my training runs.  Won't be a problem for the race, but makes training more challenging.  I should have time for one more long run to test out the salt theory...nothing new on race day (although the US Olympic speed skating team doesn't seem to get that rule).  I hope the salt helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment