Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Doubts

Inaction breeds doubt and fear.  Action breeds confidence and courage.  If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it.  Go out and get busy.  -- Dale Carnegie

Recently my husband asked me if I had doubts that I could do the HIM.  He wasn't being unkind - he was being honest.  We had gone for a bike ride together on Sunday and I was disappointed with my performance.  Based on my negative self-talk, he was worried that I was worried that I couldn't do the race.

Have no fear - remember, my goal this year is to STRIVE.  I have a lot of work to do between now and September 7, but I'm not starting from couch potato status.  I'm just slower than I'd like to be in all 3 disciplines.  Honestly, if you pressed me right now, I could probably do an HIM, but it wouldn't be pretty and it probably would take longer than the cut-off time of 8 hours.  But that's with minimal training on the bike and the swim.  With some 25 weeks of training (or 178 days, as my handy-dandy countdown calendar tells me), I will be fine.

That being said, there is work to be done.  I will be hitting the bike with much more regularity after the half-mary this weekend and continuing to go to Masters swim when it fits in the schedule.  Also, starting in April, OWS practices start so I can get comfortable swimming in the river.  Any fears I have, even the itty bitty ones in the back of my head that happen when I have a bad workout, will be driven out by action.  




No comments:

Post a Comment