Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Friday, March 15, 2013

The Art of Racing in the Rain

Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather. -- John Ruskin

OK, so I stole the title of this post from a book I've never read.  Apparently it's a book told from a dog's point of view.  Not totally relevant to my life right now.  I'm not a dog.  However, it appears that tomorrow -- yet again -- I will need to focus on the art of racing in the rain.  Here's the forecast for when I expect to be racing:


Unlike Mr. Ruskin's quote up there, I do not find rain refreshing or snow exhilarating.  There is definitely such thing as bad weather.  The way I like to look at it is that if I race in this muck, that just makes me all the more badass.  And a badass mentality is not a bad thing to have looking forward to the training coming up.

I am a little concerned that my first trail race will be in this hideous weather.  On the other hand, I have no real expectations about the race -- I'm going to do my best and enjoy it (the best I can).  I signed up because it was something different, close to home, and lots easier logistically than doing Shamrock, which is the race I did last year at this time.

As far as expectations, my training for the race has gone well, and if I can stay (relatively) injury free during my HIM training, I'm hoping to be in good shape to get closer to my half-mary PR later this fall.  But that's looking way too far ahead right now.  One day at a time.  One step, one pedal, one stroke - just keep striving.

No comments:

Post a Comment