Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Rainbows

If your life had lyrics, would they be any good? -- Douglas Coupland

One of the sweet things in my life is my Monday night drive with my younger daughter.  I have Masters at the same place where she has the swim practice for her triathlon training - and its a haul from our house, so we go down together and wait while the other is in the pool.  After we chitchat about her day, we often turn on the radio and sing, which is pretty fun.  Last night I was paying closer attention than normal -- we were stuck in a horrendous traffic jam and I was trying to keep myself calm.  (I'm not good at being late...it makes me absolutely panicked.  Yeah, I know - I'm a walking ball of anxiety.)

Anyway, Miley Cyrus's "Wrecking Ball" came on.  The first line of the chorus is "I came in like a wrecking ball...".  My sweet daughter, however, was singing it as "I came in like a rainbow...".  It was so cute and so much her - she does come in like a rainbow, in so many ways.  In the most obvious, she is HORRIBLE at picking out clothes.  Orange shirts with pink pants and red shoes.  Yikes!  We've had to have her change clothes before because we would be embarrassed to be seen at a restaurant with her.  But the main way that she comes in like a rainbow is that she will often appear after I've had a bad day or a rough patch, snuggle up to me, and make everything a little bit happier.

I'm not going to correct her - I think her lyrics suit her life.  And I need a few more rainbows now and then.

(PS - because I was a total stress ball when I got to Masters last night, I did not have the gumption to try block starts, AGAIN.  I am not good at leaving my comfort zone when my head isn't in the right place...)

No comments:

Post a Comment