Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Thursday, November 7, 2013

This Little Piggy Went to Market

Well, I like to be kept on my toes.  I look for a challenge.  I don't like to create steps that I've already walked.  I like to see if I can create something new. -- Jeffrey Wright

I was just going to blog about my new socks...but there are other exciting things to share, so maybe I'll just be a little disjointed.  But we'll start with the socks, because I'm pretty jazzed about them.  About 2 long runs ago, I got an ugly blister on/between my toes.  So I ordered a few pairs of Injinji socks to try - they are toe socks.  Here is a pair on my feet:


OK - they may look dorky, but they are remarkably comfortable.  I forgot I had them when I did my long run this past weekend, so I have worn them the last 2 days for my shorter runs.  In addition to preventing toe rubbing, after the race, I can put my flipflops on without having to freeze my tootsies.  Yeah!

The socks were a splurge buy.  My other tri purchase this week was NOT optional.  Here are the goggles I've been wearing for the last 5 years.  I (heart) them very much.  I have another pair that I have kept in my bag, but I didn't wear them because this pair has been so perfect.  Well, perfect does not include a broken strap -- and unlike all modern goggles that have separate straps that can be replaced, etc., my favorites had a unitary strap.  Broken is broken.


So I went to the local swimming store (Disco Sports), favorite goggles in hand, and asked them to find me the same pair.  Of course, 5 years later, they didn't carry the exact same model, but they had a pair that was essentially the same shape.  And, as the salesman said - they're the entry-level goggles so they're very reasonably priced.  So I bought two - one clear and one tinted.  I've been swimming with tinted goggles forever, it will be interesting to see how different everything looks.


Finally, as a bonus (and having nothing to do with shopping or toes), I got some health screening done today as part of open enrollment at my employer.  My blood pressure is great - always is thankfully, but so is my cholesterol and glucose...awesome sauce.  Go me!

No comments:

Post a Comment