Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

4 months and counting...plus my two girlfriends

Falling in love and having a relationship are two different things. -- Keanu Reeves

Four months from today I will be toeing the starting line at the Patriots Half Triathlon.  I will complete the swim before the cutoff time.  I will enjoy the bike, take in enough food and liquid to keep myself fueled without getting sick, and I will pass some people who are fast swimmers but slow bikers.  I will be thrilled when I get to the run.  Fast or slow, I know the run is mine.  I will finish the race before the cutoff, I will have barbecue and pizza.  I'll go out for dinner and eat even more food.  Four months from today.

But first things first, my two girlfriends.  I am in love with my tri bike Freyja - truly madly in love.  But it's like junior high love.  She's pretty and fast (not like that!) and she makes me look cooler than I am.  Unfortunately, the love is still superficial.  I'm still a little nervous to hang out with her because she might ditch me.  I know once we get to know each other better we'll move into a more stable relationship, but we're not there yet.

On the other hand, I am also in love with my roadie Baby - truly madly in love.  Like two old people love.  Like Carl, the old man in "UP."  She knows me and I know her.  She's slowing down a little but I can trust her completely.  She and I are so comfortable together, but it's not a flashy love.  She'll be there no matter what and I'll always know what to expect with her.

Today I went for a ride on Baby.  My plan called for a hilly ride, plus I was afraid I might get stuck out in the rain and didn't want Freyja to get soaked (and didn't trust myself to ride her in the rain).  Also, I wanted to make sure that she is ready for this weekend's adventure.  Although the ride on Freyja on Sunday went well (or better, at least), I felt so at ease today on Baby.  I guess, when it comes to bikes, it's not a bad thing to have two girlfriends.

No comments:

Post a Comment