Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

A New Point of View

I'm hard on myself, so I'm working on shifting perspective toward self-acceptance, with all my flaws and weaknesses. -- Gwyneth Paltrow

In general, I think Gwyneth Paltrow is a complete lunatic, but with respect to the quote above, I think she's probably spot-on.

Yesterday's pity party showed a complete lack of perspective on my part.  Even though my husband had been trying to cheer me up since the race ended, it took confirmation from my swim coach last night to drive it into my thick skull.

You know what, I had a really hard race and I FINISHED it.  Isn't that the perspective I should have?  Accept what I did well and avoid focusing on the weakness and flaws from the race, as big as they may feel.  Here's the picture that I should keep in my mind, not the evil little blow-up man.  It's the finish line.  That I crossed.  No matter how long it took me.  I should be proud of that.  And I am.


And I am ready to keep training hard and kick butt next time.  Watch out, evil little blow-up man!

No comments:

Post a Comment