Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Monday, July 8, 2013

Training 6/30 - 7/6 . . . and I'm Getting Too Old for This

I feel sorry for the '90s, because it was never able to be anything much more than the hangover to the party that was the '80s. -- Simon LeBon

I've been working from home a lot these past two weeks as the kids have been home from camps - thank goodness camps start again this week, I might get something done!  Anyway, working at home means I get to listen to the music channels through cable, especially alternative music from the 80s and early 90s.  OK, so I listen to Pandora or Spotify at work, but the music channels at home crack me up - they have all the little info bits about the music, kind of like VH1's Pop-Up Videos...which they have apparently revived.  In fact, my daughter is reading me tidbits about Pet Shop Boys right now - like I didn't know all this stuff already.  The unfortunate thing is that the channel I like is "Classic Alternative."  Classic - like "classic rock" - like you're getting old.

And this week, I realized that yes - I am getting too old.  Not too old for triathlons, but to act like a college kid and still train for triathlons.  On the Fourth, we went to the baseball game & fireworks...and had beer, brats, and chili cheese fries and more beer -- although the chili cheese fries did not become an option until I had already had too much beer to make intelligent food choices.  You can imagine how much I felt like training on July 5.  In fact, I kind of felt like dying a little bit.  Hangovers and training do NOT mix.  Masters swimming on Friday at 6 am?  Yeah, pfft.  I did manage to pull it together to do a little OWS practice with the fam and another triathlon friend at the beach later in the morning.  But the 6 am thing?  Did. Not. Happen.

Then my Dad came into town for the weekend and Saturday my daughter did a kids' aquathlon, or swim-run race, called Splash & Dash.  So between that little beer stupidity and a busy Saturday, my training wasn't stellar this week, although I had a kick-butt brick (bike, followed immediately by a run) yesterday - but that's next week's training story.

Sunday 6/30 - 75 minute swim (Masters)
Monday 7/1 - 75 minute swim (Masters), 60 minute bike (trainer ride on Freyja)
Tuesday 7/2 - 4.28 mile run, 38 minute bike (outside on Freyja, practicing hills & corners)
Wednesday 7/3 - OWS fail (more on this later)
Thursday 7/4 - 115 minute bike on Baby (30.18 miles)
Friday 7/5 - UGH...plus a 20 minute OWS at Lake Anna State Park - it went OK, kind of, a little
Saturday 7/6 - REST (daughter's aquathlon plus visit with my Dad)

No comments:

Post a Comment