Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Monday, July 29, 2013

Race Report! (and Training 7/21 - 7/27)

I listened, motionless and still; And, as I mounted up the hill, the music in my heart I bore, long after it was heard no more. -- William Wordsworth

Yesterday I did the I Love the Tavern Triathlon.  It's a sprint distance triathlon with funky distances.  The swim was 650 meters, open water and down stream.  The bike is somewhere in the neighborhood of 18.8 miles.  The run is supposed to be a 5K, but it is partially on trails and a little bit long.  The best part of the race, however, is the bike.  It is an out and back...culminating with a crazy hill right before the turn-around.  It is like a 3% grade or something and it is HARD.  People walk up the hill because their bikes are moving so slow they fall over.  Seriously - my tri group has pictures from yesterday's race showing all the folks walking up...and I can personally attest to people falling over.  I almost got taken out by a woman who fell off her bike due to lack of speed on the hill.  Here's the elevation profile for the bike:  It doesn't look like much, but believe me, it's a crazy hill.


Swim - 650 meters, open water start, downstream

Here I am finishing up my swim.  I look like an elf, according to my daughters.  Something about swim caps and pointy ears.  Anyway, I wished I would have swum faster, but I didn't have a panic attack, I didn't roll over on my back, and I didn't grab a kayak.  I had one problem when some chic swam over me...and I almost swam into a tree branch (deterred by a paddle boarder, thankfully).  All in all, I will chalk the swim up as a success.


The big bummer about being in the last swim wave and being slow in the water is that transition is nearly empty when you get there.  :(  On the other hand, I didn't need to worry about people getting in my way.  And then off to the bike.

Bike - 18.85 miles, see elevation profile above

Heading out on the bike

 Heading in on the bike

My goal for the bike was to not walk up the hill - and I met that goal.  I was huffing and puffing something fierce (and cursing the lack of a granny gear on Freyja) but I dug in and grinded up the hill and am really really proud of myself.  It sucked, but it made me feel invincible.  Then, of course, after you turn around, you sail right back down that hill - which is also pretty amazing.  My Garmin said I hit 38 mph - which was a lot of fun - and I stayed in aero.  In fact, I rode most of the race in aero after the first few miles (and up the big hill).  Freyja did well for me.

Run - 3.15 miles of mostly trail, a little bit of neighborhood

After coming in on the bike, I felt great.  My goal was to run the whole 5K without walking - a rather meager goal, but after the race two weeks ago, I figured that would be a pretty solid effort.  That goal I accomplished, and I'm OK with my time - I have done a faster 5K recently, but it wasn't on the trails, etc.

Bottom Line - this race was a win for me.  The bike ride and especially the hill were big confidence boosters.  The swim was better, although I still have a ways to go.  And the run is just a reminder that I am getting better, slowly, and I need to be patient.

And now, for housekeeping matters, last week's training:


Sunday 7/21 - 75 minute swim (Masters)
Monday 7/22 - 65 minute swim (Masters); 25 minutes cycle on trainer (Freyja)
Tuesday 7/23 - 1.33 mile run (acclimating due to altitude, plus long travel day)
Wednesday 7/24 - 5.79 mile run (down the mountain & back up); 25 minute swim (hotel pool)
Thursday 7/25 - 40 minute cycle (spin bike @ hotel)
Friday 7/26 - 25 minute swim (hotel pool); 2 hour hike (up and down the mountain)
Saturday 7/27 - REST day before race (plus post-red eye flight)


No comments:

Post a Comment