Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Monday, July 22, 2013

Training 7/14-7/21...and Tired

I wasn't losing my focus but I was getting tired of focusing.  What I was focusing on was becoming too routine, too ritual, not something that was interesting, new and exciting -- Picabo Street

This week I am tired.  Just plain old tired.  I don't know if it's because I'm sick or in the doldrums or what, but I've had a tough time waking up this week - problematic when it's a hundred degrees out and you want to get your workouts in early.  I don't think it's an overtraining issue, but I guess it could be a focus issue.

That being said, I have a trip coming up that should be refreshing...even though it's a cross-country trip and will require a little effort to get my workouts in while I'm gone.  I'm going to Colorado for a few days and staying at the Park Hyatt Beaver Creek - schwanky, no?  It's for work - don't think I'm so fancy.  The good news is they have a decent sized pool that opens early, so I should be able to get swim and run workouts in, and probably even bike workouts if I use their cardio equipment.  Plus training in new environs may be a bit interesting, new, and exciting - just enough to break me out of my tiredness rut.

Oh, and on the plus side - I did a practice swim for my sprint tri next weekend and the OWS went well.  No panic attacks in the open water.  To be fair, it was all downstream, but it still was swimming in open water with no personal paddle-boarder to rely on.

So, training for last week was pretty solid, even if I was sick and tired:


Sunday 7/14 - RACE (see report here)
Monday 7/15 - 75 minute swim (Masters)
Tuesday 7/16 - REST
Wednesday 7/17 - 38 minute swim (Masters - left early due to coughing)
Thursday 7/18 - 7.76 mile run
Friday 7/19 - 18 minute OWS (success - at least on the downstream); 45 minute cycle (indoors)
Saturday 7/20 - 2:07 cycle (32.32 miles) - hilly & in the heat of the day for acclimation

No comments:

Post a Comment