Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Training 7/7 - 7/13 . . . and Making Peace with the Water

In struggling against anguish one never produces serenity; the struggle against anguish only produces new forms of anguish. -- Simone Weil

The river has been rising again - the rain this summer has been out of hand.  I had solid swims at Masters on Monday and Wednesday, but I was dreading Friday's OWS.  If I had a bad swim in the current, I would probably be too mental for this weekend's race.  I kept hoping and praying they would cancel the swim due to high river levels.  I worked myself into a tizzy about it nearly...helped along by a work deadline that also got me all stressed out.  I knew another OWS experience would be good, but I also knew that a failure -- y'know, when I fly backwards down the river in the current? -- would be the worst possible thing before Sunday.  Major mental struggles and nothing had even happened yet.

And then the best thing ever occurred - the OWS got moved to a lake.  No current.  I got myself in the right frame of mind, and last night I had the best OWS swim I've ever had.  It is a great way to into this weekend.

One of the things I finally was able to experience was the peace of actually swimming versus struggling.  Going with the flow makes swimming so much better.  Serenity, not struggling, is what I need for tomorrow's race.

Speaking of going into tomorrow's race, this week was a recovery week on my HIM plan, so it kind of worked out like a mini-taper.  Sweet!  Here are the numbers:


Sunday 7/7 - BRICK (2:23 bike (outside on Baby, 36 miles) followed by 2.63 mile run)
Monday 7/8 - 65 minute swim (Masters)
Tuesday 7/9 - 2.64 mile run, 45 minute bike (outside on Freyja)
Wednesday 7/10 - 60 minute swim (Masters)
Thursday 7/11 - 3.02 mile run
Friday 7/12 - 45 minute OWS (success! serenity!)
Saturday 7/13 - REST for race...maybe a few miles on the bike just to stretch out later



No comments:

Post a Comment