Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Does a Triathlete Pee in the Woods?

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.  But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.  -- Robert Frost

Today was a big training day for me - and fairly successful at that.  I started my day (way too early) with a solid OWS effort, followed by a nice long brick -- 2 hours on the bike, followed by a 20 minute run.

The river level has gone down quite a bit since my last OWS fail (and probably even since this past weekend's race) but it's still a river and still has a current.  Wednesday OWS practices are buoy practices - the coach sets buoys out in a triangle in the river and we do swim sets around the buoys.  Today we swam diagonally up-river to buoy #1, straight down-river to buoy #2, and back diagonally up-river to buoy #3 and the shore. I was able to do multiple loops of this triangle without getting too nervous on the up-river segments...well, at least after the first loop when I realized that, yes - I could actually do this.  I wasn't even always the slowest swimmer, which was a bonus.

After cleaning off and dropping the girls at camp, I went for a long brick workout (bike/run) as per my training plan.  My body is still pretty tired after Sunday's race, and it felt awful for the first hour of the bike just because I was tired.  The second hour of the bike was not enjoyable either as I really needed to "take a comfort break" as a previous boss called it...or just call it like it is - I needed to pee.  I am not ready to join the "yellow socks" club - maybe in a race (although probably not), but certainly not in training.  The problem is, I was riding loops through an office park.  No bathrooms, no public buildings, no traffic, nice shade - I'm sure that's why people like riding there, and I enjoyed riding there too...but sometimes nature calls.  Despite this, I didn't want to interrupt my two-hour bike, so I just kept riding.  Thankfully I had parked my car near a patch of trees...there was no way I was going to get the run portion in without a little pit stop.  After that, smooth sailing.  :)

So, I kept my promises, I went my miles, and I even visited the lovely and dark woods...and I can answer the subject line question in the affirmative.

No comments:

Post a Comment