Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Let's Do This Already

I've been in a hurry all my life.  I've been in a hurry to succeed, and in a hurry to prove myself. -- Henry Kravis

Last week my daughter was at an week-long evening camp to prepare for her triathlon.  She'd been doing tri training two times a week all summer, but there was a special camp to prepare for this particular tri.  It was held at the course and they worked on the specifics of that course as well as transition, etc. -- more than just her usual swimming and biking training.  She has been very excited about triathlons and positive when we signed her up for the camp, but towards the middle of last week, she got in quite a funk.  "I'm ready for this to be done," she said.  Uh-oh - did we push her too hard?  I didn't want her to be tired of tri team this soon...she seemed to have found something that she really liked.  So I asked her if she wasn't having fun with tris anymore.  "No, I like triathlons," she said, "but I'm just ready to race.  I already trained."

At the time, I was a little concerned, because I know she has to keep training - you can't race all the time, especially if you don't train.  But now I totally get it.  I'm just about done training.  I'm ready to race.  Actually, I don't know if I'm ready or not, but I know that there is nothing in the next week and a half that will make me more ready.  I've put in 19 weeks of a solid HIM training schedule, plus the training I did leading up to that.  This week I need to stay in a good place, physically and mentally - but that's about all I can do.  I'm not going to get faster or stronger or fitter in 10 days.  Instead, I'm just getting bored - and nervous, and anxious, and excited, and nervous, and scared, and excited.  But just like my daughter, I've reached the point where "I'm just ready to race.  I already trained."


No comments:

Post a Comment