Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Saturday, August 31, 2013

One Week...and Bare Naked Thoughts

We shall never have more time.  We have, and always had, all the time there is.  No object is served in waiting until next week or even until tomorrow.  Keep going... Concentrate on something useful. -- Arnold Bennett

Hold it now and watch the hoodwink, As I make you stop think; You'll think you're looking at aquaman... -- Bare Naked Ladies, "One Week"


One week from now is my race.  As the day has gone on, I've looked at the clock and thought...next week at this time I'll be finishing the swim (you'll think you're looking at aquaman...).  Next week at this time I'll be out on the bike.  Next week at this time...this time as I type this...I will be a half iron man.  :)  One week.

I love Bare Naked Ladies.  Sometimes I go on Bare Naked runs...no, I'm not a nudist.  I set my iPod playlist on BNL and enjoy the tunes.  Not your typical running music, but it makes me happy and I usually have really good outings when I do this.

But a couple of other bare naked thoughts.  My mind has been playing body image tricks on my recently.  After I finished the swim race last weekend, I felt really good about myself.  I believed my thighs were strong and muscular.  I thought my face looked slimmer.  You know - you think the best about your body when you feel good.  On the other hand, I haven't stepped on the scale in three weeks, because I know if the number isn't what I expect, it may affect how I feel about myself and my ability to do this race.  And this week, as some of my workouts haven't gone as well as I wanted (plus that whole stupid tapering thing), I actually have felt bad.  I am convinced that my legs are rubbing together and my clothes are tight.  It's all mental; my eating habits haven't changed and I'm not overeating.  I realize it's mental and I know I need to get it out of my head before next weekend.  I have enough half iron stuff to worry about - body image shouldn't be part of the equation.  Kind of a downer, I realize.  But it is what it is.  It really sucks to be a girl.

And when you were born, they looked at you and said, "What a good girl, what a smart girl, what a pretty girl."...We've got these chains that hang around our necks, people want to strangle us with them before we take our first breath.  Afraid of change, afraid of staying the same, when temptation calls, we just look away.  -- Bare Naked Ladies, "What a Good Boy"




No comments:

Post a Comment