Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Looking Forward

I'm always interested in looking forward toward the future.  Carving out new ways of looking at things.  -- Herbie Hancock

Yesterday I did a pre-ride of the bike course for my HIM race - it was tough, but totally doable and I'm happy to have that mental knowledge in store for race day.  Here's a map of the course...I ran out of fluids (gatorade & water) with about 12 miles left to go, but that shouldn't be a problem on race day since there are bottle handoffs.  Plus hubby ordered me a behind-the-seat water bottle holder so I have extra toting space.
As far as nutrition, I ate an uncrustable (mmm, I love me uncrustables on bike rides), a baby applesauce pounch, and a payday bar, plus a couple of s-caps (electrolyte pills).  My quads were a little crampy at the end, but I think that was due to the running out of water.

Then, because I'm an idiot and 58 miles of biking is not sufficient for one day, I went to OWS practice with my masters group.  Unfortunately, I was slower than molasses, but I didn't have water panic, even though there was some current and I was kicked and swum over, etc.  Baby steps.  I have signed up for a mile-long swimming race prior to the HIM for practice - should be fun.  I know I can do it, I just want to actually prove that I can do it.  Same as doing the bike ride yesterday - I knew I could do it, I just wanted to prove it...plus it always is good to get the lay of the course in mind.

So my plan is to take on the HIM and ROCK IT.  (Hey, I had to work Herbie Hancock in here somewhere...remember this song/video?)


So back to the theme of this post...looking forward:  I am pretty sure I will be doing a spring marathon - Shamrock in VA Beach.  I've done the Shamrock 1/2 a couple times and it's a nice flat course.  I haven't registered for the race yet - price bump isn't until the end of September, but I have reserved a hotel room for the night before so I can do packet pickup and get a good night's sleep.  Crazy, huh?  This is my comeback marathon - I'm going to make sure I don't get hurt training for this one.  I should be good given that I'm doing the HIM in September and then a half mary in October and again in November, then I can slowly build up until March to the full 26.2.  

So excited to be looking forward and planning great things.


No comments:

Post a Comment