Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Monday, August 19, 2013

Training 8/11 - 8/18 . . . and the Anthem Moonlight Ride Fiasco

An error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it. -- Orlando Aloysius Battista

On Saturday night, I should have had a chance to do something really cool with my older daughter.  A local sports organization, Sportsbackers, held a Moonlight Ride.  The ride started at 8pm, just as it was starting to get dark, and had either 17- or 8-mile options (full or half moons - ha ha).  Anyway, we signed up for the full and bought the lights for our bikes.   My daughter was hesitant because she doesn't ride much (and she's also a little reticent to try new activities), so I signed us up for the Family Wave of the full so we'd start towards the back.

Some of the event was really cool - I liked spending time with my daughter.  Even though she was too nervous to ride next to me, preferring to ride behind me, we got to chat some.  She got to accomplish something she didn't think she could do.  And it was pretty cool flying down dark streets (many were closed to traffic) seeing just bike headlights and blinking bike tail lights.  I liked riding through the park, where there are no streetlights and the roads were lined with glowsticks -- she's too nervous of a rider to like that.  I was proud of her that she was able to keep up - I didn't really enjoy riding in the Family Wave so we did some passing at the beginning to get some free space to ride in.  And she did well with that (after a bit of a shaky start).

We finished and she was so excited.  So we went to get our after-ride treat - pizza, ice cream, and beer for me/pop for her...except that the event had run out of pizza.  The "post-race party" was supposed to go until 11:30p and we were far from the last ones in (having passed many people at food stops, etc. - I know there were lots of people behind us)...but by 10p there was no food.  I went and griped to the organizers who promised "more pizza was on its way..." - but we waited until 11p and still no food had arrived.  I had to get the girl to bed - she was exhausted already - so after an hour we gave up.  Now, Sportsbackers is not a rinky-dink organization - they run one of the most highly touted marathons in the US as well as one of the biggest 10Ks.  So what gives about running out of food that early and for that long?

Well, I'm not sure - I called this morning to ask them and thus far have received only a disingenuous apology.  This, on top of the positively rude answers I got the evening of the event when inquiring about the pizza, make me wonder how an organization of this type can be so popular.  Allegedly they will be "returning my call" later this afternoon with additional information - but I won't hold my breath.  I'll bet they are perfectly willing to let this "error" turn into a "mistake" - what's one crabby voice in the wilderness, right?

Anyway, enough ranting - training from last week went pretty well:


Sunday 8/11 - 65 minute swim, 3.7 mile run
Monday 8/12 - 75 minute swim (Masters), 39.64 mile bike (2:33)
Tuesday 8/13 - 3.93 mile run (a.m.), 2.66 mile run (p.m.)
Wednesday 8/14 - 45 minute swim (OWS masters), 3:48 bike (rode HIM course with friend)
Thursday 8/15 - REST (dang tired after Wednesday)
Friday 8/16 - 70 minute swim (Masters), 6.74 mile run (intervals on tready)
Saturday 8/17 - 72 minute BRICK insanity (4 minute run and then repeat 10 minute ride, 7 minute run); 92 minute ride (Moonlight Ride with daughter)

No comments:

Post a Comment