Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Friday, April 19, 2013

Bonding with Freyja

Every new adjustment is a crisis in self-esteem. -- Eric Hoffer

Freyja got professionally fitted to me on Wednesday.  It was a 2 1/2 hour process involving measurements, test riding, tweaking, more test riding, repeat.  I am really impressed with how thorough a job they did and I wholeheartedly recommend 3Sports (especially Andrew who worked with me).

Now that she is fitted, I decided to take her on a little test ride yesterday - my plan called for a short ride anyway so it seemed like a good idea.  Starting out was a bit tricky because shifting a tri-bike is nothing like shifting a road bike.  I mean, the principle is the same, but the mechanics are different.  Plus they're located out at the end of the aerobars - very convenient when you're in aero, but if you're just trying to figure out what the heck you're doing (which was part of my goal yesterday), it's a bit tricky.  In shifting I did manage to drop my chain once, but I fixed it just fine on the roadside myself.

I just rode around my neighborhood, trying to get used to the gears and handling the bike from aero.  Once I get more used to her, it's going to be a sweet ride.  I hit some really good speeds in my flat neighborhood, even though I never went for more than a block or two without stopping and turning or whatever.  I have a feeling when we're on the open road, she should be able to give me the 1-2 mph more as promised.

One tricky thing (other than the gearing) is being in the aero position.  That is going to take some getting used to.  It's not natural - but the advice I've gotten is ride more, ride more, ride more, and ride more...and it will feel better.  Also strengthen my neck and core, not look so far forward, and ride more.  Sensing a pattern here?  I guess I will be riding more.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment