Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Ready for racing

Before everything else, getting ready is the secret of success.  -- Henry Ford

The first race of my tri season is this coming Saturday.  It is a sprint tri, so the distances are well below my training averages -- 400m swim, 20K bike, 5K run.  The 400m is in a pool - although it will be a little like an OWS tri with buoys and no ability to touch bottom...but it's still in a pool.  I've never done this course before, so I don't know much about the bike or the run.  I'm definitely looking forward to the race!

So with the training I've been doing, I've clearly been getting ready.  But there're other things that are part of getting ready too.  Today I put a new set of Yankz in my shoes.  Basically they let you pull your shoes on without having to tie and untie them...saving me precious moments between the bike portion and the run portion of the race.  (OK - I'm not podium material, but every second counts - plus I like not having to bend over and think about tying when I'm all noodly off the bike.)

I have an old set in the shoes I wore for tris before (Nikes), but in the last couple years I've switched over to Sauconys and I also have my groovy orthotics in these shoes, so I figured I deserved new Yankz.  Yes, I could have unlaced the old set, but they were just plain white...the new pink ones I bought are so much cooler.  Right?

Other things I'll have to do to get ready is go through my packing list of what I need to bring to the race.  It's so much easier to go to a running race - you bring your shoes and your body.  Triathlons require nearly as much equipment as a newborn infant - actually, probably more, since it's all grown-up sized...tri-suit, swim cap, goggles, towels, bike, helmet, sunglasses, bike shoes, race belt, running shoes, shirt for if it's cold, shirt for afterwards, water bottles, nutrition, watch, and I've probably forgotten something.  Oh, yeah - and since I pick up my packet the night before, I need to bring all my numbers, etc.  And my RoadID because I'm nervous that way.  Phew.  OK, it seems like a lot of work, but I'm looking forward to getting ready on Friday and definitely looking forward to the race on Saturday morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment