Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

My prayers are with Boston

Solidarity is an attitude of resistance, I suppose, or it should be. -- Christopher Hitchens


Yesterday I was watching streamcast coverage of the Boston Marathon at work.  I was supposed to be working - sure - but watching the lead runners, hearing their stories, is so inspiring.  After lunch, I left to go for a bike ride and came home just in time to get the news of the explosions.  Again, I became glued to the streamcast coverage - checking all the news outlets, reputable and not, to try to make sense of what was going on.  I still can't make sense of it.

With runners and triathletes everywhere, I am wearing a race shirt today in remembrance and solidarity of the folks in Boston.  I didn't know anyone personally there, although I have Internet connections to a few (who have thankfully checked in safe).  I'm irrationally sensitive to disasters and I have a hard time getting my head around things like this.  But one thing that helped me was this story about many special people were there at the end - runners, first responders, and everyday folks.  My prayers are with all of the runners, their families, and the city of Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment